The Department of Agriculture, Sarawak
was formed in 1924 when a British Director of Agriculture was appointed. This was the very beginning of Government's involvement developing agriculture in Sarawak.
Agriculture development efforts specifically in crop have been implemented by the Department of Agriculture started in 1929. Since then, it has grown rapidly in terms of manpower and coverage of programs and activities.
Today, the Department involved not only in crop, but also include livestock and veterinary, inland fisheries, research & development (R&D), farmers' institution development as well as extension and training. In terms of administrative, the Department is organized into ten major divisions/branches namely:
- Crop Division
- Inland Fisheries Division
- Farmers' Institution Division
- Research Division
- Veterinary Division
- Planning Branch
- Food And Agro-based Industry Branch
- Soil Management Branch
- Human Resource Management Branch
- Human Resource Development & Extension Branch
- Plant Protection & Quarantine Branch